Wednesday, June 13, 2012

TED Talks Response

I must say, I did not enjoy these videos. I know what they were trying to say, and I am appreciative of how much research these men put into these theses, but it all seemed a little overstated to me. Essentially what these me talked about is why videos go viral. They spoke of the participation factors, and the people (Tastemakers) who endorse the videos, and a few other points. While, again, I am not saying the research was in vain, I am simply saying all their points were a little intuitive. Of course if a celebrity talks about a video, or reposts it on their blog more people will see it. And of course if people can have some sort of personal connection or participation with a video they will be more likely to watch it. This, to me, is like saying, "A high traffic street is more likely to have a collision.", or "A more populated campus houses many more people for one to become acquainted." I don't really think I am explaining my point very well here, but in a nutshell I am saying these videos talked about points which I had already figured out. Due to this I found them to be quite boring. Which is a shame because I usually like what TED Talks publishes. I find the actual act of a video becoming viral to be fascinating. Just the idea that one person can post something, and, in the case of Rebecca Black, have millions of people see it in less than 24 hours, is amazing. I love to know how connected the world is through the internet. I am sure that is exactly what these two men were approaching in their reports, but the way they did it simply didn't hold my interest. However, I did pick up a habit from these videos. I now look at the statistics of most videos I see on YouTube, and see what the best websites are for distribution of a short video are. It is quite interesting to see the different 'Communities' at play in actual scenarios.

No comments:

Post a Comment